Thursday, September 11, 2008

House Rule

The house rule is NO SCHOOL on Birthdays!! That's just how it is around here. And believe me, we fiercely stick by that rule!!
Tomorrow (Friday) is my birthday. I'll be a whopping 35 years old, and we're having a party with our friends on Saturday to celebrate.
My very clever children catch wind of this "party" and develop a plan. They start telling me this morning how they would much rather help me clean the house to get ready for the party than to do their school work.
*GASP!!* What???!?? Clean the house? I say, "Sure, I bet you would!" Then we get started on our day.
While we're working on our handwriting and doing our math, the thought keeps jumping into my mind "HELLO!! They WANT to help you clean the house. How can you turn that down??" I finally give in and tell them to finish up what they're working on right then and that will be it for the day IF they help me like they said they would.
I'm blown away really by their efforts and good attitude. With a joyful spirit they vacuumed, cleaned the bathroom, and helped put stuff away. To me, this was SO worth a half day's lessons.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Amy! Happy "Early" Birthday!:)

I hope your day is full of blessings!

And the no school rule rocks! All of our birthdays fall during the summer break, so my boys (and I) have always thought we were a little cheated....I remember when I was a little girl, I never got cupcakes on my birthday "at school."

Sigh.....One of those little childhood tragedies.:)

Anyway, enjoy your special day, Amy!

God Bless,
Amy:)

P.S. I'm gonna add you to my blog roll, so I can hop over here more often.:)

Robby Holcomb said...

Days off are the best and when its also your birthday, well then, life can't get much better. I'm glad the boys helped you with cheerful, if yet somewhat coniving, little hearts. Happy Birthday Sweetheart.

Love,
Robby