Thursday, September 11, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs ~ Something New

Planning your homeschool is a lot of fun, especially if you’re going to be trying something new. Just like finding a shiny new penny you’re excited to use it. Mother Dear has been planning some new curriculum for us, and I am plenty excited to get started on it. This week I hope you’ll share something new you’re using, why you’ve decided to use it, and if you have used it how you like it. Make sure to include the publishing information and where you got it from so others can look into if they like.
I've used a box curriculum for years. I like it, for the most part, and I'm used to teaching it and planning it. Last year, I stepped out of my box and used Apologia elementary science, and the boys and I both just loved it. This year, I looked into other options for Language Arts and decided to try Learning Language Arts through Literature with my 6th grade son. It has short easy lessons that we find interesting and engaging. This curriculum uses real literature passages to teach parts of speech, prefixes, suffixes, dictionary uses, literary terms, etc. All in non-boring fashion. What more could you ask for?? My son and I are both thrilled with it. We purchased Learning Language Arts through Literature (Teacher and Student Books) at a local homeschool store. It is published by Common Sense Press.
Another NEW for us this year, isn't exactly curriculum choice but a journey. Along with homeschooling, mothering, and many other shoes I wear I add college classes to my schedule. It will be a challenge to find how to concentrate on Biology and Philosophy while keeping the family and our responsibilities going. All prayers will be extremely appreciated!! Since I am led to this journey through the Holy Spirit's leading, I feel confident that He has a plan and will not let me fail.

5 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

LOVE to hear about a Mom continuing her education as she educates the kids! Great job and best wishes!

Lisa said...

Glad to hear you are enjoying stepping out of the "box". God's blessings on your college endeavors. thanks for checking out my blog
Lisa

Karen (3rsandahug) said...

Hope all goes well with your classes and new journey! And Happy Birthday, too - what a wonderful gift from your children!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Wow, you must be quite busy with college classes as well as homeschooling. Definitely will keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I didn't realize you were back. Your blog looks really cute. I'm investigating working towards another degree in nursing in the upcoming year. Always great to fall back on. Congrats and good luck to you. :)